IndoDaily Home Page
TERROR WARS
India probes deadly Delhi blast, vows those responsible will face justice

India probes deadly Delhi blast, vows those responsible will face justice

By Asma HAFIZ and Jalees ANDRABI
New Delhi (AFP) Nov 11, 2025

India's defence minister vowed on Tuesday that those responsible for a deadly car explosion in the heart of the capital that killed at least eight people will face justice.

Monday's blast, if confirmed as an attack, would be the first significant security incident since April 22, when 26 mainly Hindu civilians were killed at the tourist site of Pahalgam in Indian-administered Kashmir, triggering clashes with Pakistan.

"The country's leading investigative agencies are conducting a swift and thorough inquiry into the incident -- findings of the investigation will soon be made public," Defence Minister Rajnath Singh told a conference in New Delhi.

"I want to firmly assure the nation that those responsible for this tragedy will be brought to justice, and will not be spared under any circumstances."

Crime scene investigators scoured through the wreckage of a car early on Tuesday, hours after the intense explosion.

Senior Delhi police officer Raja Banthia said they were investigating the blast, near the landmark Red Fort in the crowded Old Delhi quarter of the city, under anti-terrorism laws.

However, they have not given details on the cause of the explosion, which also wounded at least 19 people when intense flames ripped through other vehicles near the 17th century structure.

New Delhi's deputy chief fire officer AK Malik told AFP shortly after the explosion that eight people had been killed.

The Press Trust of India news agency reported on Tuesday that the death toll had risen to 12, although that figure has not been confirmed.

Home Minister Amit Shah told reporters late on Monday that security forces were "keeping all angles open", adding that it was "very difficult to say what caused the incident" until forensic samples had been analysed.

At dawn on Tuesday, AFP reporters at the site said police had erected white sheets around the charred remains of vehicles overnight.

Security was increased across New Delhi as both forensic and anti-terrorism agencies searched for evidence.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered his "condolences to those who have lost their loved ones in the blast in Delhi" before leaving for a state visit to neighbouring Bhutan.

"I understand the pain of the families. The whole nation stands with them," he said.

The Red Fort is one of India's most well-known landmarks. Prime ministers address the nation from its ramparts on Independence Day, and its striking features appear on India's largest banknote.

- 'People were burning' -

Eyewitnesses described to AFP how the car exploded in traffic and how people caught up in the surge of flames were set on fire.

"I saw the car explode while it was moving," said Dharmindra Dhaga, 27.

"People were on fire and we tried to save them... Cars and people were burning -- people inside the cars were burning," he said.

"I was telling the public to save them, rescue them, and get them out. The public was busy making videos and taking photos."

The emergency ward at Delhi's LNJP hospital was chaotic after the explosion as wounded people streamed in and doctors rushed to treat them.

A woman broke down outside the ward where her husband was being treated.

"I can't bear to see him like that," she said as her brother tried to console her.

New Delhi accused Pakistan of backing the gunmen after the April attack in Pahalgam, a claim denied by Islamabad.

That attack sparked deadly clashes between the nuclear-armed arch rivals in May, when more than 70 people were killed in missile, drone and artillery exchanges before a ceasefire was struck.

The last significant attack in the Indian capital was in September 2011, when a bomb hidden in a briefcase ripped through a crowd outside New Delhi's High Court, killing at least 14 people.

Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
TERROR WARS
Belgium opens first trial linked to Yazidi genocide
Brussels, Belgium (AFP) Nov 6, 2025
A Belgian jihadist accused of acts of genocide against the Yazidi religious minority in Iraq and Syria - and presumed killed in conflict - went on trial in absentia Thursday in Brussels. Sammy Djedou, a former fighter with the Islamic State (IS) group, was reported by the Pentagon to have been killed in a 2016 airstrike in Raqqa, Syria. Belgian authorities never received formal confirmation of his death, and opted to prosecute him in absentia, in the country's first trial related to mass crime ... read more

TERROR WARS
Turkish military plane with 20 on board crashes in Georgia

NATO allies ditch Boeing for new surveillance planes

Turkey suspends C-130 flights after fatal plane crash

Light powered micromotors achieve flight in open air

TERROR WARS
EU says China confirms Nexperia chip export resumptions

China's robotaxi firms sink on Hong Kong debut

China's robotaxi firms sink on Hong Kong debut

UK govt considers electric vehicle tax

TERROR WARS
'Trump is temporary': California governor Newsom seizes COP30 spotlight

Brazil's 'action agenda' at COP30 takes shape

Will EU's carbon border tax crash COP30 party?

China emissions peak likely closer to 2028: expert survey

TERROR WARS
Mechanical power by linking Earth's warmth to space

Scientists turn seawater ions into useful tools for clean energy

AI energy demand in US proves minor climate impact

New design strategy boosts lithium alloy electrodes for solid-state batteries

TERROR WARS
Rolls-Royce upbeat on profits, to pioneer small UK nuclear reactors

$450,000 gift fuels nuclear research at UTA

Post Weld Heat Treatment Agreement Signed for Hinkley Point C Secondary Coolant Welds

Advancing TRISO Fuel Manufacturing for Next Generation Reactors in France

TERROR WARS
FSU physicists discover new state of matter in electrons, platform to study quantum phenomena

MIT physicists observe key evidence of unconventional superconductivity in magic-angle graphene

Early Matter-Dominated Universe May Have Spawned the First Black Holes and Exotic Stars

NICT achieves first entanglement swapping by sum-frequency generation between single photons

TERROR WARS
China suspends 'special port fees' on US vessels

Markets sink on concerns over tech rally, Fed rates

China's Xi vows closer ties as Thai king makes first official visit

Burger King to enter China JV and double stores; Spain's King makes China state visit

TERROR WARS
Pakistan grants lifetime immunity to president, current army chief

Germany deported Uyghur to China in bureaucratic bungle

Taliban govt protests no invitation to UN climate summit

Indian Sikh pilgrims enter Pakistan, first major crossing since May conflict

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.